- General Development
- Schema Development
- Apex Code Development
- Visualforce Development
- Formulas & Validation Rules
- Force.com Sites & Site.com
- Chatter Development
- Java Development
- .NET Development
- Perl, PHP, Python & Ruby
- Desktop Integration
- APIs and Integrations
- Visual Workflow
- Apple, Mac and OS X
- VB and Office Development
- AppExchange Directory & Packaging
- Salesforce Labs & Open Source Projects
- Other Salesforce Applications
- Jobs Board
12-14-2012 11:40 AM
I have a custom object (Properties). Properties are owning another custom object (Property Unit).
Property Units have lookup fields which are (Tenant) and (Landlord).
A property owns about 40 units on average. So we have 40 different tenants.
I want to display list of Tenants on a text field on Property upon each new update. Is there a way to do it?
12-16-2012 03:03 AM - edited 12-16-2012 03:09 AM
What you need is to roll up a text field (by concatenation) from child to parent object.
I know two options
1. If you want to invest effort on Apex development, you can write Apex Trigger.
2. If not, you can use an Appexchange App called "Rollup Helper" to achieve it.
Rollup Helper has a free community edition and paid enterprise edition. The only difference is that the paid edition performs the update in real time. The free edition can be either manually triggered or scheduled.
However, you have another major constraint with your scenario.
In order to put a text field into a Salesforce report, it can have max. 255 char. I guess that you will exceed this limit if the parent has 40 children.
In addition, even if you could put such long text in a report, it is not readable.
My recommendation is
1. Create a Rollup Summary field in the parent just to count the Child.
2. Provide a good display/reporting solution to show the parent with children (please check out Configero
Grid and MiniGrid App at Appexchange, which has funtion such as real time/inline filter (filter as you type) , group, total, mass edit, mass delete, inline edit. )